Saturday, August 14, 2010

Another Overused Word: Passion


The statement on the bottle of Lipton iced tea says that the tea leaf selectors are apparently "passionate" about choosing the right tea leaves for my tea. What does this passion get them? A spot in the fridge of a gas station mini-mart.

One of the funders for my local NPR affiliate claims that accounting is not just their business, it's their "passion." Same's true for a pharmaceutical company going after diabetes. More and more, I hear this word used to define the commitment of employees in various commercial enterprises. I pity the employee who hasn't mustered this passion despite her obvious competence.

From whom shall we expect this passion then?

Is it not enough to be deftly skilled and diligent with our work? We must also have a "passion" for it? Apparently so. No longer can we merely enjoy our work, grow in competence, and attend to challenges successfully. And if we cannot necessarily enjoy our work, then can we at least trade competence and reliability for compensation?

No. Now, considering the full understanding of the word "passion," we must harbor one of two possible attitudes toward our work: We must either "suffer and endure pain" for our work, e.g., be crucified by it for some greater purpose. Or we must be in constant "throes of sexual ecstasy" as we go about our work. Between the two, I guess I'd opt for the latter, though I don't know how well that would go over in my line of work, nor can I imagine how I'd get through the day even if my employer approved of my new-found gusto.

But just imagine, say, the Bank of America building in San Francisco. From every office, at all times, comes "Oh, my God! Oh, my God!"

What could get done in such a place? What would meetings be like? And consider the effect on company morale if Barbara experiences a crucifying "Oh, my God" while in the next office, Bob experiences multiple orgasms . . . all day long.

Okay, okay, I know, with its current usage, the flames of "passion" -- whether they inflict pain or provoke climax (or both . . . for some?) -- have been doused so that, now, our "passion" need only be, what? A fanatical commitment to our work to the detriment and possible exclusion of other aspects of our lives?

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant post. I just googled "passion overused" and found it. I guess the flipside of this is that you can and should hold the over users of the term to account. You're passionate about your kids, Bob? That's interesting, because I remember you saying a while back that you were passionate about economical office printers. You obviously care about those things equally. Hey, good for you!

    ReplyDelete