Monday, November 1, 2010

Notes on the World Series



San Francisco just won the World Series . . . .

Me and Baseball:

Though raised mostly in Mississippi, I was born in Detroit to Detroiters, so I proudly stood by my, and my dad's, Detroit Tigers. A lonely devotion this was, too; made fierce by the disdain Mississippian peers directed toward all things associated with Detroit, except cars. I followed the Tigers, and especially hall-of-famer Al Kaline, for years in box scores and watched avidly whenever the Tigers appeared on television -- a rarity in the days of one or two televised games per week. I saved my pennies and bought a satin team jacket . . . which I never wore because at the time, the late 60's, I was the only person other than a real professional athlete, who I'd ever seen wearing a team jacket.



I thrilled to Denny McLain's 31 wins in 1968 followed that Fall by the Tigers coming back from a 3 games to 1 deficit to win the World Series against the seemingly invincible Bob Gibson in the 7th game in St. Louis. And the pleasure of this was made more delicious by the fact that the most hated teacher in my junior high hailed proudly and loudly from St. Louis. Stough was his name. Can't believe I remember the name and him.

But . . . thanks to Pete Maravich, Bill Walton, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, the Georgetown Hoyas, and the Run TMC Golden State Warriors, my interest in baseball withered to be replaced by (if you didn't recognize that pantheon of stars) basketball. Like too many people, I misunderstood baseball and complained about the lack of "action" as if chess were solely about moving the pieces on the board. As the great Leo Durocher, the manager of the World Series winning 1954 New York Giants, aptly stated: "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."


Just before this year's World Series, a report on NPR shared a study of baseball in which the "action" was timed in several games. Comes out to about 14 minutes. Even I, having forgotten baseball for so many years, knew that statistic to be misleading to the point of stupidity. Only someone ignorant of baseball could find such a statistic significant.


My Ignorance:

It was the second to last game of the National League Championship series between the Giants and the Phillies (a team I've always hated because in the 60's Philly, according to the appendix in the little Webster's dictionary I still possess, was the 4th largest city in America while Detroit was . . . fifth). 9th Inning. The Giants, at home, get a man to third. One out. Up comes (can't remember) either Juan Uribe or Pablo Sandoval. He hits a high fly to middle left field and my immediate reaction was . . . "Eh, a second out." But, in fact, as I realized almost immediately, it was a sacrifice fly that will win the game because the man on third came steaming home for the winning run.

Chagrined, I pondered how I had lost even the most fundamental baseball acumen. I thought it would be nice to "know" baseball again. Or did I ever really know it? Had I ever understood baseball? If I had, how could I possibly have switched to basketball? I used to envy writers like Roger Kahn and George Will and others who waxed rhapsodically about baseball. I watched Ken Burns's "Baseball" and secretly yearned for the love of baseball's pastoral pleasures (now, to my mind, sadly compromised by the noise and the commodification of every moment at the ballpark).


Been Away from the Game Too Long -- Baseball and 9/11:

In one of the Division Series' games, we're going into the bottom of the 7th Inning and the broadcast has not broken away for another set of commercials. Instead, we get "God Bless America."

My reaction was: Hey, what about "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"? Later, I was informed that "God Bless . . . " is televised, but "Take Me Out . . ." is still sung in the ball park and so I was initially placated.

Okay, so . . . 9/11, right? Right. However, I guess I'm really ignorant of the game because I have no memory of having heard "God Bless . . ." at the handful of games I've attended this decade.

And now that I've heard it 10+ times since the Giants entered post-season play, I'm convinced that "Take Me Out . . . " is more patriotic, more of a spit-in-the-eye to Al Qaeda. After all, we still have the National Anthem at the beginning of the game, right?

"Take Me Out . . ." proclaims a gospel of its own: the "good news" of the communal joyousness baseball bestows in a lovely ballpark; the joyousness of the American Pastime that cannot tarnished and certainly not defeated by some bloody nihilists. Every game of baseball, lovingly played and witnessed, tells Al Qaeda and its ilk that we are still here being Americans. Maybe that's not always pretty, but we are not bloody nihilists, that's for damn sure.



After the National Anthem, "God Bless . . . " just seems overwrought, the result of being far too earnest, and not sufficiently joyous. And there's the undertone, too, of darkness, of nativist triumphalism, a smugness. It's not the song. I wouldn't mind if the song replaced the National Anthem at games. No, it's not the song. It's the forced, sanctimonious communalism and the sense of it being a prayer for the validation of darker impulses.


Stats, Stats, and More Stats:

Seems like I heard a lot of not very dramatic, and even quite useless, stats on the broadcasts. I gather baseball is especially prone to stat-fetish. One of the following is a stat I heard on the broadcast. The others are made up:

First rookie to throw 5 scoreless innings in a World Series game since 1982.

Most broken bats in a World Series game by a team whose mascot is not an animal.

First team to win its first two games in the World Series by more than 5 runs
when both games were night games.

Dave First is the first first baseman named First in the first game of a World
Series when the winning run was scored in the first inning.

First shutout by a visiting pitcher with 3 syllables in his surname.

First time a rookie catcher is in the World Series when the play by play announcer
was himself a catcher.


Names:

I'm glad the World Series is still called the "World Series" and not the "WS". Why can't the National League Championship be called, well, "the National League Championship" instead of the "NLCS"? We've become acronym crazy in this culture. Words are mighty and often beautiful. We should use them, not reduce them to initials. (My students should now remind me of my own "WIR," my "ROL," and my "WWIOTFOWWT".)

Slightly related: I prefer "the 43rd Superbowl" to "Superbowl 43". (I use "43" because I think we're in the 40's with the Superbowl, but I'm not sure which 40. I did watch the Saints win last year. Made the Mississippian in me very happy.)

I prefer "September 11th" to "9/11".


Politics and Baseball:

On November 1st, the Giants of proudly liberal (YES! LIBERAL!!! You got a problem with that?!!?) San Francisco won the World Series. San Francisco dominated, repeatedly dominated teams, despite being deemed underdogs going into every post-season matchup. And in the end, a skinny hipster (or a hippie; can't decide) savaged the Texas Rangers; beat them deep in the heart of Texas, in the politically sclerotic heart of reactionary politics. Of course, this proves the superiority of San Francisco and our "life-style."



And so tomorrow, November 2nd, when we go to the polls for our nation's midterm elections, I will be inspired by our ragtag Giants when I yell on some street corner,
"LET'S GO DEMOCRATS!!!!" I might even throw in a "Fear the Obama!"








My Loyalties:

At the beginning of the season, I could have named one Giant: Tim Lincecum. And yet, I really couldn't have named even him because I wasn't sure how to pronounce "Lincecum."

I've lived in the Bay Area for 30 years, but I had to borrow a Giants cap when I went to Dallas for a wedding just before the World Series. Then, of course, gracious Texans seeing me in the cap would want to talk about players, stats, games, etc. I just had to admit, "The cap ain't mine and I just yesterday stepped up on this here bandwagon."

But on it I was. I was so on that bandwagon. So on it.

And now, we've won. We, that includes me, have won. Now, for the first time in maybe 25 some years, since the Tigers won in the 80s with Kirk Gibson, I can rattle off the starting lineup, and its variations, for a baseball team! And sitting alone in my home, I was strangely moved and overjoyed by the World Series triumph. So much so that it suddenly occurred to me that if the Giants had played the Tigers in this World Series . . . I would've rooted for the Giants.

Dear Detroit and Dear Tigers! Best Wishes, Greg

6 comments:

  1. I, too, am bothered by "God Bless America" at the seventh inning stretch. It seems sanctimonious and obnoxiously jingoistic (not to mention exclusionary). Of course, I'm someone who finds the phrase "God bless America" offensive, particularly because it has become the end of every political speech. So of course I'm annoyed by this new practice. I don't remember it happening at the last A's game I went to, but that was a couple of years ago... (And for the record, even this A's fan became a Giants fan for the duration of the playoffs and Series.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "sanctimonious" is the word I was searching for last night . . . like Josh Hamilton searching for Timmy's pitches! I think I'll go edit my blog to include "sanctimonious." Thanks, g

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked most of your article. Unlike you, I have remained a faithful baseball fan for years. I have been a season ticket holder (half-season plan) for the Padres for many years. I love the nuance of the game, I love the slow pace, and my time at the ballpark is very relaxing. I remember very well all the Angel/Tiger games we attended in high school. Who could forget Gates Brown?

    The NBA, which I used to follow religiously in my youth, BORES me to tears. I can't stand the game or the players that play it. I love college basketball and football, but only tolerate the NFL because I coached professionally for so long and the strategy and their innovation helps me in my coaching life. Attending an NFL game is a miserable experience. Drunken fans in NFL stadiums ruin the whole day.

    As for "God Bless America," what's the beef? With all due respect to the previous poster, neither jingoistic nor sanctimonious even remotely apply. The word jingoism would denote extreme nationalism. Go ahead and try to make a case for "God Bless America" being an example of extreme nationalism. You could make a case for Sarah Palin being jingoistic but not "God Bless America." And sanctimonious is a terrible choice of words. Where is the hypocritical piety that defines sanctimony? The people singing it? Again, good luck making the argument that this is a sanctimonious exercise of religious patriotism.

    Exclusionary cracks me up. The song doesn't say "God bless America and nobody else." It is no more exclusionary than any other prayer. When we pray at dinner, we aren't asking God to bless our food at the expense of all others eating food. "Dear Lord, please bless this food but not Greg Monfils' meal." It is a very simple song/prayer. I really can't think of a more innocuous patriotic/religious proclamation. "God bless America. Land that I love. Stand beside her, and guide her...." If you don't like it, don't stand. Don't sing. I don't mind it a bit. Sunday day games are always military days at the Padre games so lots of service men and women are in attendance. That is usually the only day they sing "God Bless America" but they also do it on select days throughout the season.

    This is a recurring theme with you: your displeasure with God in the public square. I don't understand the time and energy you spend railing against it. It is so insignificant in the bigger picture. People believe in God. People love America. Let them be patriotic. Just like your jihad against players that made the sign of the cross when they came to bat. Who cares?

    I wish you guys on the left would get this worked up when a preacher says "God damn America" while the future president is sitting in the church nodding in agreement. Well, maybe not nodding in agreement, but certainly not complaining about the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not really the song I have an issue with -- and I know it's mostly my problem, a problem with the aesthetics of public displays of patriotism which always make me feel like it's communal bragging. And, yes, I can't help, but hear a bit of sanctimony in the air when I hear this joyless song. It's like a more accepted version of "U S A U S A!!!" which strikes me as very unattractive or the Rand Paul notion that we are the best ever, the most free, the richest, the most blessed by God, blah, blah, blah. That's hubris and if there IS a god, we'll get our comeuppance. Still, I did say above that I wouldn't mind if the song replaced the Nat Anthem at the beginning of the game. The Nat Anthem has become an American Idol audition and it's another joyless song. "America" is a better song that lifts the spirit because it is joyous. Hendrix's National Anthem is a work of art, but not a good replacement for the Anthem. However, I would encourage you to listen to the much maligned Jose Feliciano version in 1968. It's beautiful. Makes me happy to hear the anthem as THE NATIONAL ANTHEM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years ago, Russell Baker stated, wisely I thought, "Calling myself a patriot is like calling myself handsome or holy or courageous. Talk is cheap. If others call me a patriot, then fine, but I won't brag and claim the title for myself."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am put off by those who try to make their version of the National Anthem personally unique. I've listened to way too many butchered versions of this song. It is a difficult song to sing. I like it played instrumentally at a military cadence but my favorite version of it being sung is at this link:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ETrr-XHBjE


    Ray Charles' "America the Beautiful" is my favorite patriotic song. I always sit and listen from start to finish no matter how many times I hear it. I found this link if you want to hear it:

    www.brownielocks.com/americathebeautifulWAVE.html

    Not a fan of Jose's version at Tiger Stadium for the 1968 All Star game. It sounded too much like his crappy cover of "Light My Fire." Oh, light my fire, light my fire, light my fire. I hope Jim Morrison was already dead when that was released.

    ReplyDelete