Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Magazine is an iPad That Doesn't Work

Here is a video of a one-year-old who can't get a magazine to react to her touch the way an iPad does. 


What does this portend?  It's obvious to me.  And I don't mind it.  Books will become ornaments, but too limited to actually "read" . . . because the reading, as the term is already understood, will be limited and physically clumsy.



I'm going to fly to Europe this summer and while I've always so looked forward to taking those two or three books with me -- not only because of my choice of authors, but also because of the physicality, the tactile sensation of "settling in" with a book --  I will, nonethless, on this trip take an iPad with a those two or three books, and the New Yorker, and a film or two, in it.  


And just in case there are tech glitches, I'll take a book, real book, with me.  And I'll find out where in Paris I can buy English language books.  Just in case mind you. 


Interested in more musings of a 56-year-old teacher confronting and welcoming technology?  See here.








No comments:

Post a Comment