Saturday, September 12, 2009

Email Messages That Begin with "Hahaha"


If I receive a response to an email and the responding message begins with "Hahaha" or something to that effect, and my original message is not quoted, does it mean that my original message was somehow amusing? Or does it mean that the respondent suspects that I intended my message to be funny and is therefore politely acknowledging what he or she presumes to be my attempt at humor? Or is "Hahaha" some form of exclamation or introduction like "Well . . ." or "You know . . ." or, well, you know, something to that effect.

And is this the kind of pointless blog that chases prospective followers and even casual readers away?

Some of you out there will be tempted to begin a comment with "Hahaha." Do so if you wish, but explain to me what it means. Yes, yes, I should anticipate that this particular blog will get a few laughs. But the fact of the matter remains that I get more emails that begin this way and . . . .

Okay, I could go back to the my original message to determine if something I wrote was funny or could be construed as such, but that seems oddly narcissistic (yes, perhaps that same could be said for blogs generally).

1 comment:

  1. I have never begun an email or any correspondence for that matter with "HaHaHa". I am not sure what it means....maybe that the content of what you are about to read is going to make you crack up?

    ReplyDelete