Monday, September 28, 2009

Toaster 2 -- In the Garden with Thanks to AL


Joan and Ken are visited by Will, Ken's son, and Lynn, Will's wife. Will and Lynn are middle-aged. Joan is 66; Ken 79.

Modest home, backyard patio and garden.


JOAN: [looking in a home medical encyclopedia] Maybe it’s under “itch.”

WILL: Try under “rash.”

JOAN: Well, it’s not really a rash. It may be Shingles.

KEN: I thought Shingles was more of a pain.

JOAN: The only thing under “itch” is “anal.”

KEN: A-N-A-L?

JOAN: Yes, Ken.

KEN: That’s the word that means “rectum.”

JOAN: Well, now I think it means more a matter of being narrow-minded.

KEN: That’s the dictionary definition?

JOAN: Well, that’s how kids and lots of people use it.

KEN: I had a problem there once. Really more of an irritation than an itch . . .

JOAN: Well, Ken . . . I’m looking for an itch here.

KEN: I see . . .

JOAN: What’s that, Ken?

KEN: I see . . . you interrupted me again.

JOAN: Well, sometimes . . . .

LYNN [having finished trimming the garden] That’s done!

JOAN: Thank you, Lynn.

KEN: Yes, Lynn, that’s great!

[pause]

JOAN: Well, there’s one little thing. . . .

KEN: Oh, here we go.

JOAN: Those two little geraniums. I think they’re dead or dying.

LYNN [returns to garden] Here?

JOAN: See, Ken, I could say that I’m a little “anal” about my garden.

KEN: I would never say that.

JOAN: Well, that’s the popular term now.

KEN: I don’t give a damn what the teens are saying, I . . .

JOAN: Well, adults say it, too.

KEN: I see . . . .

JOAN: See? Now, YOU’RE being anal.

KEN: What the hell is ANAL about . . .

LYNN [returning from garden] It means “overly meticulous.”

JOAN: Well, yes . . . but it’s also “narrow-minded.”

No comments:

Post a Comment