Sunday, March 13, 2011

Just When You Think . . .


Without Tits There Is No Paradise
is a very popular televised soap opera in Colombia.

The USA tends to be a bit more prudish about television. More prudish, in fact, than most of the world. Perhaps now I'm more grateful for that.

I sometimes grit my teeth as I consider some of the more vulgar, stupid examples of USA culture polluting other lands like an imperial invasion of junk. I give you the most popular American television program abroad: Bay Watch. Or consider the McDonald's on the same piazza as the 2200-year-old Pantheon in Rome. However, these folks elsewhere do ask for this junk. And, of course, upon going abroad, I quickly find examples of home-grown nastiness that competes with anything we here in the US send over.

Still, if what I read in the current Atlantic Monthly is true, Colombia wins the junk wars. In the Atlantic Monthly it's reported that "one of Colombia's most popular television show [is] Without Tits There Is No Paradise." It's apparently the continuing saga of a "flat-chested" and impoverished teenager "who wants to sell her virginity for a pair of implants."

I decided not to post visuals for this entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment